Tuesday, June 1, 2010

More than skindeep, touches the heart strings

A DHL courier's red and yellow uniform caught my eyes as I stepped out of a client's boardroom yesterday. I welcomed the familiarity and everything sweet associated with that brand... couldn't conceal my smile to the boy.

I remembered sitting in the Parkview Square office 7 years ago... doing the tedious inventory of the number of vehicles (from scooters, bicycles, cars, vans to 40-foot container trucks),  inferior and exterior office signages (which building is prominently located and facing the freeway? which is hidden within industrial parks?), uniforms, office stationery, airwaybills, tapes, bags, invoices - all things operational.  Every single touch point with Management, Employees, Customers, Media and general publics needed us to move the world with just one aim. That is to show the world the new DHL brand. Yes, "us" the tiny Regional Communications Department of less than 7 leading the mega rebranding project in 2003.

Every single quarter were a report-out to Corporate tracking old vs new assets. Every single month was a party in at least one country with employees, customers, and media. Every week was a mad rush to push news in all propoganda channels to reach every corner and soul of DHLer. Every day we lived a rebranding high ! The power to excel and the can-do spirit was intoxicating. Everyone in the organization embraced the new brand. It was money very well invested to get people excited isn't it - especially when budgets was a free-flow commodity those days.

Within 12 months, all 40 countries and terrorities completed the project. AP topped the world's records to become the first region to wrap up the monster task. I believed it is the positive spirit of all in one and one in all... that got us through in such amazing speed and precision !

Yeah, we painted every city red, and left a specially blended yellow pantone in everyone we touched. I even suspected there was yellow in my blood ! 7 years on, I still love those colours. DHL was a  rebranding success. I had the best time of my professional life.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that period very well, my first month in the company and was thrown into the middle of the whole rebranding exercise. A very good learning experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yep. remember it well too, cos I was running it from the Express side. it was fun and rewarding and those colors still bring a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete